Simón Valverde is a partner. He is commonly identified as one of the leading authorities in Intellectual Property in Costa Rica. He was counsel for the Vice-Dean’s Office of Investigation at the Universidad de Costa Rica, responsible for intellectual property, technology and knowledge transfer of the university. Attorney Valverde is a founding member and past Director of the Costa Rican Association of Intellectual Property Professionals (APPICR). Mr. Valverde has directed prosecution of a large percentage of the patent applications filed by the firm in Costa Rica, attending more than 70 interviews with patent examiners, by far the largest number of any patent professional in Costa Rica.
Attorney Valverde successfully litigated at the judicial courts (Tribunal Contencioso Administrativo), together with attorney Luis Diego Castro, the two cases that set the current standard of what should be included in a patent examiner’s review of a patent application and set the mandatory use of the Patent Examination Guidelines, of discretionary use by examiners before that decision. On behalf of APPICR organized and coordinated, jointly with the Patent Office, two seminars on patent examination guidelines and examination of pharmaceutical patents. Advised the Costa Rican Patent Office during the process to draft the new bylaws to the Costa Rican Patent Law (Reglamento a la Ley de Patentes No. 6867). He also provides advice in trademark, trade secret and copyright matters to Fortune 500 companies as well as to public institutions and individuals.
Since 2011 he is a faculty member of the Intellectual Property course of the Criminal Law Master Degree program at Universidad Latina of Costa Rica (a member of the Laureate International Network) and currently he is faculty member and technical expert in the changes to the curriculum of the Intellectual Property Master Degree program at Universidad Estatal A Distancia de Costa Rica (the only such program in Costa Rica).
- Law Degree from the University of Costa Rica (UCR).
- Post-graduate Studies in Notary Law from the Universidad Autónoma de Centroamérica.
- LL.M in Intellectual Property, Commerce and Technology Degree from the University of New Hampshire (formerly Franklin Pierce Law Center).
- Listed in Chambers Latin America.
- Listed by Bestlawyers.
- Costa Rican Bar Association.
- International Trademark Association (INTA).
- Costa Rican Association of Intellectual Property Professionals (APPICR).
- Co-authored the Costa Rican Chapter of Trademarks, the book of the collection Chambers Global Practice Guides, a 2018 publication by Chambers and Partners
- Co-authored the Costa Rican Chapter of Patent Litigation, the book of the collection Chambers Global Practice Guides, a 2018 publication by Chambers and Partners
- Co-authored the Costa Rican Chapter of Patents, the book of the collection Getting the Deal Through, a 2017 publication by Law Business Research Ltd
- Are you using correctly your mark in Costa Rica Lexology, March 6, 2014
- The effectiveness of patent examiner interviews. Lexology, September 12, 2013